Well I’m a bit excited about sharing this one. I have finally found a wonder product that you can not only use for beauty but you can also eat. And its healthy! Its been around for years and is regularly used in health and beauty products and I understand why now.
The benefits for the skin, hair, body (inside and out) are endless.
I have dry skin and have been using it for the past month as my existing routine wasn’t giving my skin the hydration it needed. It has to be the best thing I have used in a very long time (and it doesn’t break the bank)
Coconut oil comes in a jar and is solid. You have to warm it up in your hands before application, it will then melt into an oil and is a lot easier to apply. There are so many different brands out there but whichever brand you go for, I would always suggest to buy 100% #organic, cold pressed coconut oil as you generally can’t get better than that.
Ok so lets get into some of the benefits of using #coconut oil. I was surprised about some of them...
1. Skin – this works wonders on the skin. Coconut #oil contains mainly fatty acids which are great for the skin. It also contains #vitamin E which is an anti oxidant and helps in skin regeneration. I have only used it for dry skin but research suggests that this oil is suitable for any #skin type, including oily, combination and problematic skin. Coconut oil has been used in the treatment of skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis and acne and has been quite successful in doing so. This is due to its anti microbial and anti inflammatory properties. The fact that this is 100% natural is probably the most important thing as quite often skin treatments for conditions such as eczema and psoriasis contain steroids and that’s never a good thing for your skin.
2. Hair – you can use this as a hair mask after shampooing or as an over night treatment. I’ve used it as an over night deep conditioning treatment by smothering my hair from root to tip and loosely piling it on top of my head. You just have to make sure you cover your pillow with a towel or it can get messy! I then shampoo and condition my hair as normal the next morning and my #hair is left so soft.
3. Nails – great treatment for hands and #nails. Perfect cuticle oil, very nourishing and moisturising especially if you regularly have gels or acrylics. Tip...apply before bed and you'll be left with super soft nourished hands in the morning. I find moisturising before bed the most effective especially when it comes to hands and feet as you're finally allowing them to rest.
4. Eating – you can use this to cook and due to its solidity its a perfect replacement for butter.
5. Losing weight – I’ve not tried this yet but there is a lot of research to suggest that using coconut oil in your diet aids in fat burning. I will report back on this one.
6. Mouthwash (oil pulling) - now I was surprised about this one and am yet to try it. This method is used as a holistic treatment as a natural mouthwash. Apparently it can also whiten your teeth. #Oil #pulling is when you swirl the oil around your mouth for 10-15 minutes and then spit it out. It’s meant to be very refreshing and excellent at killing off any bacteria.
7. Lip balm – All you need to do is use an empty #lip balm tin, scrape some coconut oil out and press it into your tin. If you wanted a bit of a tint you could mix a bit of your favourite lipstick into it.
8. Shaving gel - a lot of shaving gels contain chemicals. Coconut oil can be used as a replacement. Slather some on the area to be shaved (just make sure the whole area is covered) and shave away. Rinse after and your skin will be left super soft and supple.
9. Body moisturiser - I literally smother myself in it from head to toe. A little goes a long way so don’t be too heavy handed or you’ll be waiting a long time to get dressed!
10. Anti ageing - great anti ageing treatment due to the level of fatty acids. It can be used as a day or night #moisturiser and an eye cream. If I’m not wearing makeup I’ll use it as a day and night moisturiser. If I’m going out I’ll always use spf 50 mixed with a bit of coconut oil.
11. Makeup remover - perfect as a #makeup remover especially for waterproof makeup. Great for taking off mascara or just using as a cleanser. Don’t use it on lash extensions as it is oil based and will loosen the bond of the glue. Its a great lash treatment in between lash extensions or as an everyday treatment. I use it as my night cream and rub a bit into my lashes and brows to keep them conditioned.
So there you have it. The multiple uses of coconut oil. It really is a wonder product. If you need any help or advice on using it just get in touch x
Image credit @Freepik